California Attorney Provides Skilled Guidance on Family Law Issues
Effective Riverside County lawyer offers comprehensive representation for domestic matters
When it comes to legal issues that affect your family, a responsive and compassionate attorney can help. At the Norco law office of Anthony Alanis, I have spent years assisting clients going through the life changes that result from divorce. I can help you achieve the best possible results possible when it comes to child and spousal support, custody, property allocation and debt distribution to ensure you can begin the next chapter of your life on a solid foundation.
Knowledgeable advocate dedicated to protecting the interests of divorcing spouses
From representing numerous clients faced with the challenge of ending a marriage, I have gained extensive experience and knowledge of California divorce law regarding:
- Filing requirements — California is a no-fault divorce state, which means that one spouse simply has to claim there are irreconcilable differences in the marriage rather than having to prove improper behavior by the other spouse. One spouse must be a California resident for six months before filing for divorce, then there is a waiting period of half a year after the paperwork is filed before it can be finalized.
- Property and debt distribution — California is a community property state. Separate property, which includes property acquired before marriage, remains with the owner. Property acquired during the marriage is generally split 50/50. Debts are allocated based on a theory of equitable distribution, meaning that financial obligations acquired during marriage are split fairly between the spouses but not necessarily equally.
- Alimony — Spousal maintenance, or alimony, may be awarded by a court while the divorce is pending and as part of a final order. The goal in some cases is to allow the spouse earning the lower income time to obtain education or training to become self-supporting.
- Legal separation — When a couple chooses to go their separate ways but is not ready to legally end the marriage, I help them file a petition for a legal separation and go through the asset division process.
Reliable attorney aims to resolve custody and visitation issues
Courts must approve parenting plans outlining child custody and visitation arrangements for minor children of divorcing parents. To determine that the proposed plan is in the child’s best interest, California courts review numerous factors, including:
- Age, health and needs of the child
- The child’s connection to the local school and community
- Emotional ties between the child and parent
- Preference of a child who is generally at least 14 years old
Parents should always work to achieve a mutual agreement that covers their child’s emotional and physical well-being. However, when agreements cannot be reached, I work to ensure parental rights are protected and the court is made aware of all critical parenting factors.
Contact a successful California family law attorney for a free consultation
At the law office of Anthony Alanis, I have an established record of providing efficient, reliable service to my clients in Riverside County. To arrange for a free initial consultation, please call my Norco office at 951-523-8531 or contact me online.